Nadiya Hussain has turn into extra conscious of her dairy consumption, saying: “We have to do our bit – I do know we’re not going to vary the world, but when all of us did our bit we are able to.”
This new consciousness “impacts how I prepare dinner and the way I bake”, she says – and means there are some scrumptious vegan recipes in her new cookbook, like this banana ice cream cheesecake with blueberry compote. “It is like a frozen cheesecake,” Hussain says.
Banana ice cream cheesecake recipe with blueberry compote
For the bottom:
160g porridge oats
160g roasted complete hazelnuts
60ml coconut oil, plus additional for greasing the tin
185g golden syrup
A pinch of salt
For the filling:
7 bananas, chopped and frozen, about 580g
2tbsp golden syrup
1/2tsp floor cinnamon
1tbsp cocoa powder
For the compote:
250g contemporary or frozen blueberries
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
100g caster sugar
1. Begin by lining and flippantly greasing the bottom and sides of a 20cm spherical loose-bottom tin, 7.5cm deep.
2. Make the bottom of the cheesecake by toasting the oats and the hazelnuts in a big frying pan on a medium warmth for about 5 minutes till they only begin to flip a golden brown, ensuring to stir on a regular basis to maintain the oats transferring. Pop them straight right into a meals processor and blitz to a effective crumb. Now add the coconut oil and the golden syrup, and pinch of salt, and blitz once more ’til all of it clumps collectively.
3. Throw the combination into the prepped tin and, utilizing the again of a spoon, press into the bottom and a pair of.5cm of the perimeters. Depart the bottom to relax when you make the filling.
4. Make the topping by taking out the frozen chopped bananas and including to a meals processor with the golden syrup, cinnamon and cocoa. As tempted as you is perhaps to start whizzing, stroll away for 5 minutes and permit the bananas to defrost simply very barely in order that they course of extra simply, then blitz ’til you might have what appears to be like like a soft-scoop ice cream. Shortly spoon the combination on high of the prepped base and pop into the freezer ’til you might be able to eat.
5. If you end up able to eat, make the compote by including the blueberries, lemon zest and juice and sugar to a pan and stirring over a medium warmth ’til the blueberries have simply softened. This could solely take a couple of minutes. You may make the compote properly upfront and, if you happen to do, hold it chilled within the fridge till serving.
6. Take the cheesecake out of the freezer, slide it out of the cake tin and put it onto your serving dish. Add the nice and cozy compote on high and depart for only a few minutes earlier than slicing and having fun with.
Nadiya Bakes by Nadiya Hussain, images by Chris Terry, is revealed by Michael Joseph, priced £22. Accessible now. Nadiya Bakes is obtainable to look at now on BBC iPlayer.