PUBLISHED: 17:29 13 October 2020 | UPDATED: 18:04 13 October 2020
Award-winning baker Ruth Macintyre hosts on-line programs filmed at her Brockham HQ
Nationwide Baking Week (October 14 to twenty) goals to encourage folks of all talents to bake at dwelling and so we’ve teamed up with Ruth Macintyre, founding father of Ruth’s Little Kitchen to carry you a fast and straightforward shortbread recipe to get you began.
Whether or not you’re a whole newbie, studying the ropes at college, or are extra skilled baker who wish to broaden their expertise, Ruth’s Little Kitchen normally runs programs from its HQ within the picturesque village of Brockham however has now gone digital, providing a spread of on-line lessons to simply entry and revel in within the consolation of your individual dwelling.
From the traditional lockdown banana cake to the scrumptious shortbread with chocolate drizzle and conventional white bread loaf, Ruth’s Introduction to Baking lessons embody 12 step-by-step movies in whole, to suit round your individual schedule.
“I strongly imagine in encouraging people of all ages to take pleasure in cooking, particularly throughout this time after we are all spending extra time at dwelling and in want of some extra positivity,” says Ruth, who gained Gold finally 12 months’s World Bread Awards.
“My ethos is straightforward and genuine: cook dinner, train, share, and eat. Baking doesn’t should be any extra difficult than that, and I can be certain that there shall be plenty of enjoyable on the way in which.”
Ruth’s Little Kitchen Shortbread
There are such a lot of variations to shortbread, however this can be a very simple one with the ratios of three:2:1. A highland model can be to roll the dough right into a cylinder, flippantly brush with milk and rolls in demerara sugar. Chilling the shortbread will permit the gluten to calm down, giving a softer crumb. It is going to additionally assist preserve the form of the biscuit.
50g caster sugar
175g plain flour
Additional for dusting after
Tools: Rolling pin, bowl, fork, baking tray.
1. Preheat oven to 160C Fan. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
2. Sieve flour into mixing bowl, stir in sugar.
3. Add butter in small lumps after which rub in till it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Try to collect the dough collectively in a ball
5. If too stiff add 1 tbsp of milk and blend collectively right into a ball.
6. On greaseproof paper roll out combination right into a circle, combination must be 1.5cm thick. Don’t fear if it isn’t excellent.
7. With the facet of fork prongs press into the dough throughout the diameter. Then prick the floor.
8. Transfer onto a baking tray.
9. Chill – not less than 30 minutes however the longer the higher – might be in a single day.
10. Bake for about 30 min or till straw color and a tinge of golden brown spherical the perimeters
11. After elimination from the oven, depart on tray for a few minutes earlier than shifting onto a cooling rack.
12. Both sprinkle with caster sugar or depart plain if drizzling with chocolate
Online classes value from £85 and are additionally appropriate for college kids aged 14 and above to realize the abilities part of their Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, together with bronze, silver, and gold.