Seaweed, white wine, and ginger lend fishy flavors, whereas canned banana blossoms deliver all the feel required to make a plant-based model of fish and chips on this recipe from the Vegan Junk Food cookbook.
What you want:
For the fish filets:
2 cans banana blossoms in brine, drained
Canola oil, for deep-frying
Lemon wedges, for serving
For the marinade:
2 scallions, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
2 nori sheets, finely chopped
¾-inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup white wine
For the batter:
1 cup self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chilly beer or soda water
For the tartar sauce:
½ cup finely chopped dill pickles
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon caper brine
What you do:
- Underneath operating water, rinse banana blossoms, squeezing out as a lot brine as attainable. Place in a bowl, rinse below operating water once more, and squeeze out any remaining brine. Place in a dry bowl.
- For the marinade, right into a medium bowl, mix all elements. Add marinade to banana blossoms and therapeutic massage by, separating the banana blossom items. Cowl with chilly water, then cowl in plastic wrap and marinate for two to 24 hours within the fridge, tossing sometimes.
- For the batter, in a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and pepper. Place in freezer.
- Take away marinated banana blossoms from fridge and scoop out ¼ of combination. Squeeze and wring out majority of liquid, protecting a small quantity of moisture. Take away flour combination from freezer and toss with banana blossom to coat. Repeat with remaining banana blossoms to make 4 filets. Put aside on a plate.
- In a big heavy saucepan over medium-high warmth, heat oil. Check if oil is prepared by inserting a wood skewer into oil; if it begins to bubble shortly, it’s prepared.
- Into flour combination, slowly pour chilly beer or soda water, stopping intermittently to completely incorporate liquid earlier than including extra, till batter simply comes collectively. Use instantly whereas chilly and beer or soda water remains to be bubbly.
- Dip every fillet into batter. Add two battered fillets into saucepan with sizzling oil and prepare dinner for two to 4 minutes or till crisp and golden. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and repeat with remaining fillets.
- For the tartar sauce, right into a small bowl, mix all elements. Serve banana blossom fish with tartar sauce, lemon wedges, and French fries.
Picture credit score: Zacchary Chicken
Love vegan meals and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside each subject of
Discover out why VegNews is the world’s