There’s something very alluring about edible containers, particularly if they’re vibrant pink, inexperienced or yellow skinned bell peppers. This delectable vegetarian model of stuffed bell peppers gives a hearty mix of candy and tart flavors, supplementing the rice filling with components comparable to raisins, lemon zest and pine nuts.
Inexperienced bells have the strongest taste profile, a grassy natural high quality that groups with a mild spicy end. Pink bells are sweeter than inexperienced, with solely a smidgen of natural notes, whereas yellow bells are even milder than reds.
Candy-Bitter Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers
Yield: 5 entire stuffed peppers, 10 halves
3/4 cup raisins
5 massive bell peppers, pink, or inexperienced, or yellow, or a mix
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 massive yellow onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon pine nuts
1 cup raw lengthy grain rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly floor pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 3/4 cups water
Contemporary juice of 1 lemon, Meyer lemon most popular, divided use
1/3 cup chopped recent Italian parsley
2 teaspoons chopped recent dill
2 teaspoons chopped recent mint
1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
1 medium-large tomato, finely diced
1. Alter oven rack to center place. Preheat oven to 350 levels. Place raisins in small bowl and canopy with sizzling water; put aside.
2. Wash the bell peppers; lower about 1/4-inch from prime to slice off prime and reserve prime. Scoop out core and seeds and discard; set peppers apart.
3. Put together stuffing: Warmth oil in massive, deep skillet on medium warmth. Add onion and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till onions flip golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes on medium-low warmth. Add pine nuts; prepare dinner till pine nuts flip golden. Add rice and stir to mix to coat rice. Drain raisins and add to combination. Add salt, pepper, sugar and water. Convey to light boil on excessive warmth. Cowl and cut back warmth to medium low. Simmer till rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Take away from warmth and uncover. Put aside to chill barely, about quarter-hour. Stir in half of lemon juice, parsley, dill, mint and cinnamon. Style and add extra salt and/or pepper as wanted. It’s possible you’ll choose to make use of seasoned salt
5. To assemble: Fill every bell pepper with stuffing combination till barely mounded at prime. Sprinkle diced tomatoes over prime of stuffing. Place peppers standing up in ovenproof Dutch oven; pan must be simply large enough to accommodate them simply, but cosy sufficient to retain their shapes and maintain them erect whereas cooking. Peppers must be at the very least 1-inch aside. Pour a bit water into the pan to a stage the place it simply begins to come back up the facet of the peppers. Cook dinner till stuffing begins to brown in uncovered space and peppers are tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining lemon juice and serve.
Supply: “Melissa’s On a regular basis Cooking with Natural Produce” by Cathy Thomas (Wiley, $29.95)
Have a cooking query? Contact Cathy Thomas at [email protected]