“I’m pleased to have chocolate,” mentioned Angela Hunter as she crammed her tasting plate at Northern Hospital of Surry’s Chocolate Bake-Off on Sept. 12. “It has taken awhile.”
The hospital has been having bake-offs and cook-offs for a number of years, every with a theme. Staff put together dishes in line with the theme of every competitors and fellow staffers style and vote on their favorites in a blind tasting within the hospital’s cafeteria. After the votes are tabulated, the winner receives a trophy, maybe some extra prizes, and undoubtedly bragging rights.
The theme for the current competitors was “Demise by Chocolate!” The foundations known as for contestants to organize any dessert with any taste of chocolate (darkish, white, milk, and so on) as a key ingredient.
“I’ve been pushing for chocolate for fairly a while,” mentioned the hospital’s advertising and marketing director Ashly Lancaster. “Previously, the theme has been seasonal. We’ve had strawberries within the spring and chili within the fall, however it’s not fairly summer season and never fairly fall proper now. “
The profitable recipe was Ashley Serena Wright’s entry, Chocolate Wasted Cake. That recipe follows, together with 10 of the opposite entries, together with Earthquake Cake, a preferred birthday cake amongst hospital workers. It was briefly renamed Hurricane Cake because of the impending menace of Hurricane Florence.
“‘Demise by Chocolate!’ has been an enormous hit,” mentioned Lancaster.
As large a success because the bake-off was, there have been — in line with all reviews — no precise deaths by chocolate.
See extra photographs at MtAiryNews.com.
Chocolate Wasted Cake (1st place)
Ashley Serena Wright
1 -1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup cocoa
1 -1/2 cup Stout
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. espresso powder
2 cups butter, at room temp.
1 -1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cups mayo
1. Mix your entire dry substances right into a medium-size bowl. Then mix your moist substances right into a separate small bowl.
2. In a big bowl whisk collectively the butter and sugar with an electrical mixer till it’s clean and creamy. Add in your eggs, mixing it in one after the other. Add the mayo. (You’ll be able to’t style the mayo however it make the cake moist). As soon as all is mixed change off including the dry and moist substances. Be certain to scrape the aspect of your bowl continuously.
3. Divide batter into greased pans and bake at 350°F. for 35 minutes. Let cool earlier than icing.
Assemble the cake:
Backside layer of chocolate cake, icing, brownie layer, icing, second layer of chocolate cake and icing the highest and sides of cake. It’s possible you’ll high the cake with any chocolate goodies that you just want.
*The center of the cake is a brownie layer. I simply made the brownie out of a field however you might make it selfmade when you favor to take action.
1/3 cup butter (room temp)
2/3 cup cocoa
2 -2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Soften butter in a small sauce pan over low warmth. Add the cocoa and stir till the combination is clean and thick. Take away pan from warmth and place the cocoa combination right into a medium dimension bowl. Let it barely cool.
2. Add the milk and vanilla alternately with the powdered sugar to the bowl and beat with an electrical mixer till performed.
(You have to to double the recipe to have sufficient icing for the center layers as effectively.)
Higher Than “All the things” Cake
1 field of German chocolate cake combine
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 -14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar of caramel ice cream topping (I used Smuckers caramel syrup)
1 -16 oz. container Cool Whip
1 bag of toffee bits
1. Bake the cake following directions on the field.
2. Let the cake cool, then poke holes about 1 inch aside utilizing the top of a spoon.
3. Pour the condensed milk over the cake. Pour the caramel topping over the cake and unfold evenly.
4. Unfold the cool whip over the caramel topping, then sprinkle with the chopped toffee bits.
5. Refrigerate for about an hour or so, then serve.
Graham crackers (about 2 sleeves from a field)
3 cups milk
2 small packages French vanilla instantaneous pudding
1 -(8 oz.) carton whipped topping
1-2 cans chocolate frosting
Grease pan or Pyrex dish (6×12) and line with unbroken crackers each on the underside and sides. Combine pudding, milk, and whipped topping. Pour half of combination over crackers. Prime with extra crackers. Layer with remaining pudding combination. Cowl with extra graham crackers. Unfold frosting over high.
Chill 24 hours.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Treats
1 field of graham crackers, plain
1 cup butter = (2 sticks of butter)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 -12 oz. bundle of milk chocolate chips
1 -12 oz. bundle of white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (elective)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cowl a 9 x 13-inch rimmed cookie sheet with Reynolds non-stick tin foil with non-stick aspect up. Press the foil into the underside of the cookie sheet and let the foil go over the ends about one to 2 inches on each ends and above the rim on either side. Prepare the graham crackers in a single layer to cowl your entire cookie sheet.
On the range in a heavy sauce pan over medium warmth, soften the cup of butter and the cup of brown sugar, stirring continuously till it begins to boil. As soon as the combination begins boiling, let the combination boil for about three minutes stirring continuously. Take the pan off the range and pour the combination evenly over the graham crackers. Take a knife and unfold the combination utterly over the graham crackers.
Bake within the oven for 10 minutes. Oven occasions range however you must see the butter/brown sugar combination effervescent on high of the graham crackers because it cooks in the direction of the top of the baking time.
Take the pan out of the oven and set on a cooling rack. Instantly sprinkle the milk chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips over the recent graham crackers. Wait three minutes after which use a knife or spreader to unfold out the melted chips over the graham crackers. After this step, you possibly can then add the elective chopped pecans.
Cool utterly for a minimum of two hours. For sooner arrange you possibly can let pan cool after which put within the fridge. When prepared, use the sides of the foil which are protruding of the ends of the cookie sheet to carry the graham crackers out of the pan. This allows you to separate the sides of the foil from the graham crackers so you can begin breaking off bite-sized items. Put in hermetic container. Greatest if made the day earlier than.
Crock Pot Reese’s Cup Swirl Cake
1 field Betty Crocker Tremendous Moist yellow cake combine
1 cup water
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup chocolate-flavored syrup
3 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
2 to three tbsp. milk
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. chocolate-flavored syrup
20 Reese’s peanut butter cups miniatures, unwrapped and lower in half
1. Spray a 5- to 6-quart oval gradual cooker with cooking spray. In massive bowl, beat cake combine, water, eggs, 1/2 cup peanut butter and the butter with electrical mixer on low 30 velocity seconds, then on medium velocity 2 minutes, scraping bowl.
2. Take away 2/3 cup of the batter to medium bowl; stir in 1/2 cup chocolate syrup to make chocolate fudge batter.
3. Spoon 1/2 of the peanut butter batter into the gradual cooker, adopted by the entire chocolate fudge batter. Prime with remaining peanut butter batter. Swirl with a knife in a round movement.
4. Cowl; prepare dinner on Excessive warmth setting 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours quarter-hour or till toothpick inserted in heart of loaf comes out clear. Flip off gradual cooker; uncover, and take away ceramic base from cooker to cooling rack. Let cool quarter-hour.
5. In medium bowl, beat 3 tablespoons peanut butter and a couple of tablespoons milk with whisk till clean. Add powdered sugar; combine till clean. If vital, steadily add extra 1 tablespoon milk till glaze is desired consistency. Unfold peanut butter glaze over cake; drizzle with the chocolate syrup. Sprinkle peanut butter cups over high of cake.
Darkish Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes
12 slices bacon
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chilly, robust brewed espresso
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Chop up the bacon into small items and fry till crispy and drain. Combine collectively all different substances, reserving some bacon for the tops of the cupcakes. Bake at 350°F. for 20 minutes and high along with your favourite chocolate buttercream icing and remaining bacon.
Milky Means Cake
8 Milky method sweet bars
2 -½ cups all- objective flour
2 sticks of margarine
½ tsp. baking soda
2 cups of sugar
1 -¼ cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecans
Soften Milky Means bars and 1 stick of margarine, put aside. Cream sugar and 1 stick of margarine, add eggs, add alternately flour, baking soda with buttermilk. Add melted sweet and margarine combination. Add pecans. Bake in tube pan at 325°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or till performed.
2 -½ cups of sugar
1 cup marshmallow cream
1 cup of evaporated milk
1 stick of margarine
6 oz. semi- candy chocolate chips
Cook dinner sugar and evaporated milk to delicate ball stage, add chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, and margarine, stir till all are melted and pour on cake.
Wellesley Fudge Cake
2 -½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp.s baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup sizzling water
½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, (lower into 16 items and softened)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 massive eggs
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
1 stick unsalted butter, lower in half, softened
1 -½ cups mild brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 cup evaporated milk
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. MAKE BATTER: Modify oven rack to center place and warmth oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch sq. cake pans. (Might lower 2 squares of parchment paper and lay in backside of pans.) Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in bowl; put aside. In small bowl, whisk sizzling water with cocoa powder till clean; put aside. With electrical mixer on medium excessive velocity, beat butter and granulated sugar till mild and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and blend till integrated. Add flour combination in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk, till mixed. Cut back velocity to low and slowly add cocoa combination and vanilla till integrated.
2. BAKE CAKES: scrape equal quantities of batter into ready pans and bake till toothpick inserted in heart comes out with a number of crumbs hooked up, 25 to half-hour. Cool desserts in pans quarter-hour, then prove onto wire rack. Cool utterly, about 1 hour. (Cooled, wrapped desserts will be saved at room temperature for two days.)
3. MAKE FROSTING: Warmth 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, salt and ½ cup evaporated milk in massive saucepan over medium warmth till small bubbles seem round fringe of pan, 4 to eight minutes. Cut back warmth to low and simmer, stirring sometimes, till combination has thickened and turned deep golden brown, about 6 minutes. Switch to massive bowl. Slice remaining butter into 4 items and stir in with remaining evaporated milk till combination is barely cool. Add chocolate, add vanilla, and stir till clean. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar till integrated. Cool to room temperature, stirring sometimes, about 1 hour.
4. ASSEMBLE CAKE: Place 1 cake layer on serving platter. Unfold 1 cup frosting over cake, then high with second cake layer. Generously unfold remaining frosting over high and aspect of cake. Refrigerate cake till frosting is about, about 1 hour. Convey to room temperature to serve.
The Chocolate Cake
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup oil
1 stick butter
3 tbsp. cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick butter
6 tbsp. milk
3 -3/4 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
In a saucepan, combine Coca-Cola, oil, butter and cocoa and produce to a boil. In one other bowl, mix the sugar, flour and salt. Pour the boiling cola combination over the flour combination and beat effectively. Add the eggs, buttermilk, soda and vanilla and beat effectively. Pour combination right into a well-greased and floured 13×9-inch baking pan and bake at 350°F. for 20 to 25 minutes. Take away from pan. Cool for about 10 minutes earlier than frosting.
In a saucepan, mix the butter, cocoa and milk. Warmth till the butter melts. Beat within the remaining substances and unfold on the cake whereas it’s nonetheless heat.
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake AKA “Slice of Heaven”
Recipe is transcribed instantly from a photograph of Hickling’s recipe index card. Her private shorthand could require some experimentation to beat.
Combine collectively the next:
1 Satan’s Meals cake combine
1 s. choco instantaneous pudding
1 cup bitter cream
3/4 cup oil
1 -8f. choco chips
1/2 cup heat water
Bake at 350°F. for 60 minutes.
Hurricane Cake (previously Earthquake Cake however re-christened resulting from Hurricane Florence’s impending arrival)
“I used to be launched to Earthquake Cake a number of years in the past once I started working within the Administration workplace with my good friend and co-worker, Linda Williams. Linda, who’s now retired from Northern, was well-known for making selfmade desserts for these in our division for his or her birthday. For every birthday we’d all collect for slightly birthday celebration across the convention room desk and luxuriate in no matter tasty deal with Linda had made. All the things she ever made was to die for, however my favourite was at all times the Eathquake Cake and it turned my particular request annually. After her retirement I sought out the recipe from her so I might make it myself. It’s now a staff favourite in my division for birthday celebrations. I see now how a lot enjoyment Linda should have gotten out of baking for us all by means of the years. The previous saying is true that nothing brings folks collectively higher than good meals and on this case, good chocolate!” —Ashly Lancaster
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 (18.25 ounce) bundle German chocolate cake combine
1 (8 ounce) bundle cream cheese
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Flippantly grease the underside and sides of 1 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Layer coconut and pecans within the backside of pan. Put together cake combine in line with bundle directions and pour over pecans and coconut. Mix cream cheese, butter or margarine, vanilla and confectioners sugar and beat till clean. Pour over cake combine. Bake at 350°F for half-hour. Toothpick is not going to come out clear.
Ashley Serena Wright’s entry, Chocolate Wasted Cake, gained first place in Northern Hospital’s “Demise by Chocolate!” bake-off.
Winner Ashley Serena Wright is pictured along with her trophy.
Hospital workers style “Demise by Chocolate” entries earlier than casting their votes.
Chocolate Eclair was Cindy Thacker’s entry.
Higher than “All the things” Cake was baked by Maddie Woods.
Crock Pot Reese’s Cup Swirl Cake was entered by Christie Jones.
Had there been a class for “Greatest Secret Ingredient,” Denise Felts’ Darkish Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes would absolutely have taken that prize. Had there been a class for “Greatest Secret Ingredient,” Denise Felts’ Darkish Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes would absolutely have taken that prize.
Wellesley Fudge Cake was baked by Pam Wooden.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Treats have been entered by Mechelle Johnson.
Milky Means Cake was baked by Kathryn Epperson.
Sheila Woodruff’s chocolate cake is understood merely as “The Chocolate Cake.”
Andrea Hickling ‘s Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is also called a “Slice of Heaven.”
Ashly Lancaster’s “Earthquake Cake,” baked from a recipe she acquired from retired co-worker Linda Williams, was briefly renamed “Hurricane Cake” in deference to Hurricane Florence.
Attain Invoice Colvard at 336-415-4699.